For more information, please download the brochure.
Sunday – May 12th
Host: TED WILSON
- Participants arrive in Dublin – evening reception and dinner
- Informal meet and greet – with Society of Irish Foresters from Dublin area
- Overnight in Dublin – Hotel TBA
Monday – May 13th
Host: NUALA NI FHLATHARTA
AM – Ashtown (Dublin) Teagasc Centre.
- Welcome from Teagasc & Department of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Marine
- Official welcome from Minister of State for Forestry
- Outline of forestry in Ireland – history, policy and practice
- Outline the Teagasc Forestry programme (Teagasc)
- Short perspectives on Canadian forestry by the visiting group
- Tour of Teagasc forestry research
- tree breeding work - labs/glasshouse/tunnels
- Shade experiment
- Ash dieback research
- Lunch at Ashtown Research Centre
- Commemorative tree planting
PM – Travel to Durrow CO Offaly.
- Teagasc Silviculture Research Experiments, Niall Farrelly
- Travel to and overnight in TULLAMORE
Tuesday – May 14th
Host: LIAM KELLY
AM – Travel to the Slieve Bloom area.
- Coillte – Forest operations and the Glendine Sitka spruce stand
- Lunch – Location TBA
PM – Visit Birr Castle and Estate.
- Travel to and Overnight in KILLALOE
Wednesday – May 15th
Host: JONATHAN SPAZZI
AM – Visit the Cliffs of Moher
PM – Raheen Forest Estate; historical 200 ha Mc Lysaght private estate. Section of the mature Estate (150 ha) leased by Coillte for industrial timber (SS clearfell), 50 ha privately managed with a range of integrated sylvicultural systems: CCF, clear felling and conservation management - Includes a 300-year-old sessile oak section under NW Scheme and a community woodland section (Nighbourwood). Near scenic lakeside village of Killaloe.
Points of interest include history of Irish forestry, Sitka spruce harvesting, silvicultual
systems, sustainable production and recreation.
Thursday – May 16th
Host: MICHAEL SOMERS & IAN SHORT
AM – Travel to Bansha and meet with the directors of the Limerick and Tipperary Woodland Owners Ltd. on John Kavanagh’s property. This will include private forestry and growers’
groups; hardwoods and estate forestry.
- Visit the Rock of Cashel
- Lunch (Horse and Jockey)
PM – Visit Jim Dunnes’ specialty Sawmill and Jim O’Brien’s Hurley mill in Drangan.
- Travel to and overnight in THURLES
- Evening program - Music session and story-telling in Jim Ryans of Upperchurch.
Friday – May 17th
Host: MICHAEL SOMERS
AM – Visit the Castlecomer Discovery Park, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.
Joint venture with Coillte and the community.
PM – Visit Coillte’s Ballintemple Nursery and seed centre.
- Travel to and overnight in Laragh near WICKLOW
Saturday – May 18th
Host: PADDY PURSER AND LIAM BYRNE plus Ted Wilson
AM – Travel Laragh and tour of forestry in the Wicklow mountains.
- Private forestry - Knockrath Estate owned by the Brabazon family
- Continuous Cover Silviculture
- Visit Glendalough Monastic ruins
- Tour of the Glendalough craft distillery
- Return to Dublin
- Evening dinner and farewell social in Dublin