Derek Burdikin, RPF, is a second-generation forester with more than a decade of experience in the forest industry, working primarily for licensees in forest planning and operations.
Derek's skills include personnel management, strategic planning, conflict resolution, contract management, professional supervision, and consultation with First Nations.
Derek is currently operations co-ordinator for West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd. in Quesnel. Derek's duties include managing timber harvesting, road building, and maintenance contractors, as well as coordinating a commercial thinning program and industrial logging camp.
Prior to that, Derek was a planning co-ordinator and senior planner with West Fraser for Tree Farm Licence 52. Derek was also a silviculture surveyor and a wildfire fighter.
Derek has sponsored three foresters-in-training and wants to further give back to the profession. Derek has additional experience with non-profit societies, and served as vice president on a board of directors.
- Operations Co-ordinator, West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd., Quesnel, September 2018-present
- Planning Co-ordinator, West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd., Quesnel, March 2013-September 2018
- Silviculture Surveyor, Fortec Consulting Ltd., Quesnel, September 2011-December 2011
- BC Wildfire Fighter, BC Wildfire Service, Cariboo region, May 2009-September 2010
- Silviculture Student, Tolko Cariboo Woodlands, 2007-2008
- Director, Friends of Barkerville, Quesnel, 2014-2016
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry (BSF), UBC, Vancouver, 2012