ForesTrust is the ABCFP's registered charity. It provides scholarships and bursaries to forestry students through 13 student awards at nine post-secondary institutions in BC. ForesTrust also provides funding for educational activities focused on how we care for and manage BC’s forests. To date, ForesTrust has provided funding to 17 such initiatives, including National Forest Week.
ForesTrust survives through the generosity of ABCFP members and others who donate to the charity. All donations are eligible for a tax receipt, so please, donate now and help support the future of professional forestry.
Support the Cause
Make a Donation: Your donations are tax-deductible. Download the ForesTrust Pledge Form or easily donate online. You can also dedicate your donation in memory of a colleague or set-up monthly contributions. Contact Nathan Doidge for more information.
Did you know you can bequeath a portion of an estate to ForesTrust? An estate planner can assist with making those arrangements.
ABCP ForesTrust Scholarships and Bursaries
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Wayne Cochrane Memorial Award – awarded to a student enrolled in the forestry option of the renewable resources program for first year achievement who is intending to pursue registration with the ABCFP.
College of New Caledonia
- ABCFP Natural Resources Studies Scholarship – awarded to a student with a minimum 3.0 GPA who is planning to continue in an ABCFP accredited program and has demonstrated financial need.
- ABCFP Forestry Resources Technology Bursary – awarded to a student with a minimum 3.0 GPA who is planning to continue in an ABCFP accredited program and has demonstrated financial need.
Nicola Valley Institute of Technology
- ABCFP ForesTrust Prize – awarded to a student completing first-year studies in the Environmental Resources Technology Program who combines academic achievement with extra-curricular activities and who demonstrates an interest in pursuing registration with the ABCFP.
ABCFP Scholarship – awarded to a student entering the second year of the forestry technology program intending to pursue registration with the ABCFP.
Thompson Rivers University
ABCFP Award – awarded to a fourth-year student in the natural resource science program who is intending to pursue registration with the ABCFP.
University of British Columbia
- ABCFP Scholarship in Forestry– this scholarship was endowed by the ABCFP in 2000. The award is given to an undergraduate student who is entering second year in the Forest Resources Management program. It is awarded to a student who exhibits a combination of academic achievement and extracurricular involvement and is made on the recommendation of the Faculty of Forestry.
- ABCFP Graduating Prize in Forestry– this prize was endowed by the ABCFP in 2000. The award is given to an undergraduate student with the best graduating thesis and/or the best graduating essay in the Faculty of Forestry. The award is made on the recommendation of the Faculty of Forestry.
- ABCFP Sustainable Forest Management Prize– established in 2016, this prize was made available through an endowment established by ForesTrust, registered charity of the ABCFP, for a master’s student in the Faculty of Forestry studying sustainable forest management. Preference is given to students enrolled in the Master of Sustainable Forest Management program who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership skills through their studies and who indicate they intend to practise forestry in BC and become registered with the ABCFP. The award is made on the recommendation of the Faculty of Forestry in consultation with the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Read the UBC report on the history of ABCFP scholarships at the university.
University of British Columbia - Okanagan
ABCFP Award – awarded to students who have completed one or more years of full-time study and will be continuing in full-time study in the forest resource management program. Awards are given to students who exhibit a combination of academic achievement and extracurricular involvement.
University of Northern British Columbia
ABCFP Award for Excellence – awarded to a forestry student (second, third or fourth year) in the natural resources management program who illustrates excellence in academic achievement and student involvement.
- ABCFP Bursary - Awarded to a third or fourth year student in the natural resource and environment program (majoring in forestry) who demonstrates financial need. Upon meeting these criteria, selection is based on academic achievement (two prizes available).
Vancouver Island University
ABCFP Award – awarded to a second-year student in the forest resources technology program who is intending to pursue registration with the ABCFP.
Apply for a Scholarship
Contact the individual institutions directly to find out more information about available scholarships and bursaries, criteria, application procedures and deadlines.
Spotlight on Scholarship and Busary Winners
Every year in the September/October issue of BC Forest Professional magazine, we put the spotlight on winners of ForesTrust scholarships and bursaries. Read this feature to learn about some fabulous future forest professionals.
You can find listings of additional scholarships and bursaries on the following websites: