Leave of Absence
If you are a member taking a temporary break from the practice of professional forestry in BC, you may be eligible for a leave of absence (LOA).
Reasons for Requesting a Leave of Absence Include:
- not actively working toward registration
- medical considerations
- maternity or paternity leave
- returning to school
- living and working outside the province
- working in a job that doesn't involve the practice of professional forestry
How to Apply for a Leave of Absence
1. Determine your eligibility.
2. Complete the Change of Status Form*. Leave of absence applications have different fees depending on when they are submitted (see below).
- LOA at the start of ABCFP fiscal year (December 1). A completed Change of Status application form and the 2017 LOA fee of $104.01 (GST included) must be recieved by the membership renewal deadline, December 1. Applications completed or received between December 2 and January 31 are considered late and must also include the administrative fee of $57.75 (GST included) on late membership renewal. Members who are unable to renew their status or submit a complete application by January 31 will be struck from the rolls.
- LOA any time after the membership renewal period and annual membership dues have been paid. A completed Change of Status application form must be submitted. No additional fees required.
Once your LOA application is received, it will be forwarded to the registrar and director of act compliance, the board of examiners, or the professional practice committee (PPC) for consideration/approval. The review process takes approximately four to six weeks, and in cases where PPC review is required, may take longer. Fees are processed following approval of your request.
Renewing a Leave of Absence
A leave of absence is in effect only until the end of each ABCFP fiscal year (November 30).
- Re-apply by November 30 following the steps noted above under the heading How to Apply for a Leave of Absence
- If you do not reapply for LOA by the November 30 deadline, you will be assessed the administrative fee on late membership renewal. If you are eligible for compulsory reinstatement as noted in the policy/procedures, you be reinstated to active status. You will also be invoiced for the reinstatement fee, the full annual membership dues for the incoming fiscal year and the administrative fee on late membership renewal. See the Fee Schedule for amounts.
- All members (except enrolled members) applying for an LOA and who are working in BC, in any capacity, are required to complete the self-assessment process including the declaration. Details are available in the form.
Reinstatement from Leave of Absence
See the Reinstatement section for more information.
Need More Information?
Contact the registration department.
*Fillable PDF. If you are unable to open this file, please right-click the link and save the PDF to your computer and then open from your computer. This form must be signed. To submit by e-mail, once you complete the form, print a copy, sign and scan it in order to e-mail it. Submission details are available in the form.