Norah White, RPF, is an experienced senior leader and BC government regulator with more than 15 years of experience in the development and interpretation of forestry legislation, regulation, and policy.
Having held progressive roles in the forests ministry has allowed her to understand diverse perspectives and navigate conflict. She also helped form a new strategic vision for the province’s forest management framework.
Norah has been a guiding member of the minister’s Forest and Range Practices Advisory Council since 2012, working closely with First Nations leadership and forestry councils, and with industry associations and teams on forest stewardship planning and the adaptation of that framework. Her efforts within the Office of the Chief Forester are evident in sweeping changes proposed to the Forest and Range Practices Act, accompanied by a renewed program to support implementation.
Norah served as a member of the ABCFP Editorial Board from 2018 to 2020. She is also working on an executive MBA degree involving board governance and financial insight, and recently began a new leadership role with the BC Oil and Gas Commission where she will remain involved in matters of forest land stewardship and regulatory oversight.
- Director, Regulatory Affairs, Strategic Initiatives Division, BC Oil and Gas Commission, September 2021-present
- Senior Manager, Sustainable Resource Management, Office of the Chief Forester, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations, and Rural
- Sustainable Forest Management Policy Officer, Resource Practices Branch, Resource Stewardship Division, 2013–2016
- Legislative Analyst, Legislation Branch, Corporate Initiatives Division, August 2011–July 2012
- Forest Policy Advisor, Strategic Policy and Practices Branch, Corporate Initiatives Division, 2006–2010
- Research Officer, Legislative Assembly of BC, July 2005–June 2006
- Financial Management and Procurement for Expense Authorities, CSNR, government expense authority, since June 2016
- Labour Relations Law, BC Public Service Agency, December 2017
- Introduction to Administrative Law, Justice Institute of BC, January 2012
- BC Legislative Internship Program, BC Legislature, June 2006 (annual six-month program offered to 10 recent graduates of BC’s major universities)
- Bachelor of Science in Forestry, Forest Resource Management (Honours), Faculty of Forestry, UBC, Vancouver, 2004
- Executive Master of Business Administration, Beedie School of Business, SFU, April 2022