John Davies, RPF, has been a wildfire and fuel management consultant since 2004, after the Filmon Report recommended the province engage in community interface protection. He was one of the first professionals to start working in the field of community protection with extensive operational experience in wildfire suppression prescribed burning. Over the past 18, John has helped build the sector through projects, committee participation, program feedback, and association guideline participation. He co-authored the position paper, Forest Fire in BC: How Policies and Practices Lead to Increased Risk, as well as guidelines for forest professionals regarding the management needs of wildfire and fuel hazard with regards to BC forest professionals.
John now works in the BC Interior, primarily with local governments, the province, First Nations, and international clients, and has strategic operations, as well as business and financial planning experience.
He has participated in a variety of ABCFP, provincial, and community boards, working committees, and volunteer groups.
He also spent 10 years fighting forest fires with the Wildfire Management Branch and is a volunteer lecturer and presenter at several post-secondary institutions.
- Frontline Operations Group/Davies Wildfire Management Inc., April 2004-present
- B.A. Blackwell and Associates, 2002-2004
- Ministry of Forest Protection Branch, Rapattack, 1993-2002
- Wildfire fuel management strategies, prescriptions, and operational monitoring
- Ecosystem Restoration plans, prescriptions, and operational monitoringCommunity wildfire protection planning
- Prescribed burn planning, prescription and implementation
- Wildfire rehabilitation plans and operational monitoring
- B.Sc. Forest Resource Management, UBC 1999
- Project Management Certificate, Okanagan College, 2015
- Provincial Fire and Fuel Management Task Force (ABCFP)
- International Association of Wildland Firefighters
- Southern Interior Beetle Action Committee
- Western Silviculture Contractors Association: Wildfire Subcommittee
- Okanagan Shuswap Forest District Fuels Working Group
- Wild Sheep Society of BC, Life member